Skip to main content

Devo Series: Jesus is my Lord



Connect
We have heard the story countless times before and sometimes our familiarity on the gospel strips it impact in our lives. “Yes, I know the story” “Yes, he died and rose again after 3 days” – we know these things and we can recount it to others without a moment’s thought, but really what is the implication of Jesus’ resurrection? How do we live out this truth in our lives daily?

Word
In the story, Jesus was buried and placed inside the tomb for 3 days which Pilate made sure was well guarded and secured to ensure that nobody steals his body. 3 days after, Mary and Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and found that Jesus’ body was nowhere to be found. Instead, they found an angel sitting on the stone, proclaiming that Jesus has risen:



The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.”
Matthew 28:5-7

The two Marys then hurried away from the tomb and Jesus met them and told them to relay the message to His disciples to meet him in Galilee where He gave them the great commission.



Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Matthew 28:18-20

Highlights


We can learn 3 truths about Jesus in the passage:


1.     Jesus is Alive


Jesus’ resurrection means that He defeated death and has regained His throne at the right-hand of God. He is the only Person in history to claim that He is God who is not buried somewhere and that truth alone means that He alone is worthy to be worship and praised.


2.     Jesus is the Ultimate Authority

Being the Son of God means that everything in heaven and on earth is under His authority, and so when He gave us the great commission, our posture should be to obey the call like soldiers in a mission field. 


We are people in a mission and a purpose as followers of Jesus.

I was talking to a 10-year old girl just last Sunday and I was telling her about Lordship -- that Jesus is not just the Savior of our lives but He is our Lord and Master.

This is a very difficult topic, so imagine my struggle to come up with illustrations that will be simple enough for her to understand without diluting the truth.

When we say that He is the Ultimate Authority, His instructions come first. We can picture other authority figures in our lives like our parents, teachers and even the government officials, but when God says something that is the total opposite of what those others are saying, we should follow God -- no matter how difficult or painful it may be.


3.     Jesus reigns victorious


And the great part about being on God’s mission is that we know for certain that we will win and that should give us a victorious outlook in life: when the people we are discipling do not seemed to be growing yet, and when challenges start to look so much bigger than they really are, let’s take this to heart: We are already victorious in Jesus.

We already know how this battle is going to end -- and we are on the winning side.

Thoughts

  • Which of the 3 truths resonated to you the most in this season of your life?
  • How are you running with the Great Commission that God has given us?
  • Pray for you to have the love and passion to obey God’s call in proclaiming that Jesus is the Son of God to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday: Be the Man You Want to Marry

Throwback Thursday! Words edition :) I wrote this post almost two years ago, I've had 3 blogs for the past four years so my ramblings and thoughts have been tucked away in three different places in the digital space. Reminds me of Voldemort and how he hid his soul to 7 different objects. Nerd alert! Hehe! So here it is, my realizations as far as marrying is concerned, when I was 23 years old:

Bridal Shower Ideas

Hey pretty ladies! Throwing a bridal shower for your dear friend soon? Here are some ideas that you may want to explore :)

Book Fave: Soul-Keeping at 21 Weeks

Hello! My ballooning tummy says hi at 21 weeks!  Whoa! Time really does fly!!! *gasp* I feel like I should be updating you guys more often, because this is such a becoming time, isn't it? Being a mother-in-the-making... but a lot of things are happening and I haven't told you guys that I actually was on bedrest on my first trimester for almost 3 weeks and I just got back to work from yet-another bedrest last week (during my 2nd trimester) because I had spotting.