Skip to main content

Read Faves: This is What Happy Looks Like

This is a cute one.

Small town girl, matinee idol boy, a string of witty email exchanges, the push of young love, the pull of the past, so the story goes... :)




Jennifer Smith reminds me of Nicholas Sparks catering to the young adults' palate. This is my first time to read one of her works, and I just know that every single book of hers would be feel-good. Of course with that said, it also means that this one's fairly predictable, so some parts are kind of boring yet there's comfort in knowing that all will be well in the end... ;)

This one's nice enough, and she does make me think on what happy looks like... Meron palang mukha ang pagiging masaya?! 

You know how when you meet people and you say something like, "he doesn't look like a Michael, more like a Bart" or "She does look like a Jenny, though, right?! She's perfect for her name!" Lol! Somehow we've placed standards on which face fits certain names...

But when we talk about being happy, it's different for every one. It's like DNA -- it's like a set of happy-blissful scenes that's uniquely yours because with those pictures or scenes come as a result of your upbringing, your personality, values, culture and the list goes on.... If drinking hot chocolate and popping a Disney movie in the player is my idea of happy, it may be the other person's idea of boring. For her, the idea of being happy is skiing on the Swiss Alps (chochal!) or something adventurous :)

So Smith's book title has made happy which is seemingly so abstract into something more concrete.

If happy has a face, what does it look like to you?

Plot:
When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O’Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie’s Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media’s spotlight at all costs?

Fave Lines:
I never said I was good,” he told her, taking the pen. “Just that I liked doing it.”
“That’s the best kind of good.”  
“It was exactly as he’d thought it would be, like the first time and the millionth time all at once, like being wide awake, like losing his balance. Only this time, it wasn’t just him; this time, they were losing their balance together. 
“Nothing's all that scary if you can see it coming.” 
“Together they waited for the sky to flip over like the turning of a page, the bone-colored moon giving way to a brilliant sun, the promise of a new day, and Ellie was surprised to find herself thinking of the little town in France, the one with all the miracles. She could only hope that in a place filled with so many wonders, it would have still been possible to appreciate something as remarkable and ordinary as all this.” 
From: EONeill22@hotmail.com
Sent: Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:18 PM
To: GDL824@yahoo.com
Subject: what happy looks like 
Sunrises over the harbor. Ice cream on a hot day. The sound of the waves down the street. The way my dog curls up next to me on the couch. Evening strolls. Great movies. Thunderstorms. A good cheeseburger. Fridays. Saturdays. Wednesdays, even. Sticking your toes in the water. Pajama pants. Flip-flops. Swimming. Poetry. The absence of smiley faces in an e-mail. 
What does it look like to you?” 

Credits:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15790873-this-is-what-happy-looks-like

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday: Be the Man You Want to Marry

Throwback Thursday! Words edition :) I wrote this post almost two years ago, I've had 3 blogs for the past four years so my ramblings and thoughts have been tucked away in three different places in the digital space. Reminds me of Voldemort and how he hid his soul to 7 different objects. Nerd alert! Hehe! So here it is, my realizations as far as marrying is concerned, when I was 23 years old:

Bridal Shower Ideas

Hey pretty ladies! Throwing a bridal shower for your dear friend soon? Here are some ideas that you may want to explore :)

Book Fave: Soul-Keeping at 21 Weeks

Hello! My ballooning tummy says hi at 21 weeks!  Whoa! Time really does fly!!! *gasp* I feel like I should be updating you guys more often, because this is such a becoming time, isn't it? Being a mother-in-the-making... but a lot of things are happening and I haven't told you guys that I actually was on bedrest on my first trimester for almost 3 weeks and I just got back to work from yet-another bedrest last week (during my 2nd trimester) because I had spotting.