Skip to main content

A Girl's Eve Moments

"You just have to be brave enough to be patient enough to wait for it." - Fulltime Girlhttps://thefulltimegirl.com/

Have you met...?
A few months back, I get at least one date referral a week from friends and office mates, and that is no exaggerated fact.

I don't really express that I want a guy. In fact, I usually just smile and laugh off their offers when they go all-wing woman on me.

(I would like to take this moment to applaud the concern and efforts of these people with huge initiatives in life that they have appointed themselves as my unofficial wing women! You know who you are! :P)

Although as much as I enjoy being on my own, I also won't deny that there are definitely moments when I wish I had someone.

Let us call these the single hood moments:

... moments when I would be a little jaded and  silently snort at the sweet couple sitting in front of me on the bus.

....times when I question whether my standards are waaaaay too high for anybody's sanity ("baka masyado kang choosy! "pihikan ka kasi!")

...sigh-worthy moments when I would sit and dream about the time when that ONE guy will walk into my life.

... and the times when I would wonder whether there is truly someone out there for me because for all I know, God has meant me to be on the road to single blessedness, or what if I already missed out on the best person??! Gassp!

Hmm...
These thoughts grounded on doubt, worry and fear remind me of a scene with a certain woman and a cunning serpent in a lovely garden thousands of years ago.

In the garden, while Adam and Eve were enjoying walking with God (literally!), the serpent planted doubt on Eve's mind:
"Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You[j] shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” 
And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden,  but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’”  Gen. 3:1-3

Although she remembered clearly what God told them to do, she began to doubt and once there was doubt, it was easy for the serpent to sow more lies in her mind and soon it made her second guess God's character and His goodness.
 "But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 
So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate. Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths." Gen. 3:4-7
This doubt gave way to disobedience, followed by shame, guilt and fear.

I fell in love twice and got my heart broken on both times. This is not counting the other times when I hoped and was disappointed with the other guys who came, went by and with whom it just didn't work out with (showbizzz answer!). So as much as I still believe in love, I am also quite scared in that department.

When these Eve moments come, when our past haunts us, makes us doubt who we are and on the goodness and sovereignty of God, it's easy to just go for the second best or just stay within the bounds of the familiar. But God tells us to not worry, and reminds us that there is no fear in love because we are to hope in Someone who will never fail and disappoint us.

Maybe that's when everything falls apart

...
when we look into our past, feel guilty and doubt whether we are still deserving of the best... when we look into the future and just become too scared to take on the challenge of being with someone that we just rather walk away so we will never get hurt.


But what if we look to God and focus on Him? If Eve didn't for one second doubt that the commandment God has given them will lead them to the best promise ever, if she didn't become scared of missing out on what the serpent claim to offer her, if she didn't lose her focus on God's goodness and wisdom... then that fruit would have no appeal to her and she would wait for her prize patiently because she knows that nothing else would compare to what her God can offer her.

In the midst of these moments, to be braver and wiser is my prayer :)

...Wise enough to know when a guy's heart is to glorify God alone, and brave enough to take on whatever challenges to fight alongside that guy when the time comes.

...Wise enough to give up my will for His glory -- to discern whether walking the path on my own is His will for me -- and brave enough to take on the journey because I know that He will be holding my hand all through out.

We have a God who is able and willing to give us the whole garden, if only we stop looking at that one fruit. :)


Photo credit: stupendous marriage



You might also like:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday: Be the Man You Want to Marry

Throwback Thursday! Words edition :) I wrote this post almost two years ago, I've had 3 blogs for the past four years so my ramblings and thoughts have been tucked away in three different places in the digital space. Reminds me of Voldemort and how he hid his soul to 7 different objects. Nerd alert! Hehe! So here it is, my realizations as far as marrying is concerned, when I was 23 years old:

Bridal Shower Ideas

Hey pretty ladies! Throwing a bridal shower for your dear friend soon? Here are some ideas that you may want to explore :)

Book Fave: Soul-Keeping at 21 Weeks

Hello! My ballooning tummy says hi at 21 weeks!  Whoa! Time really does fly!!! *gasp* I feel like I should be updating you guys more often, because this is such a becoming time, isn't it? Being a mother-in-the-making... but a lot of things are happening and I haven't told you guys that I actually was on bedrest on my first trimester for almost 3 weeks and I just got back to work from yet-another bedrest last week (during my 2nd trimester) because I had spotting.