Skip to main content

Book Fave: Soul-Keeping at 21 Weeks


Hello! My ballooning tummy says hi at 21 weeks! 

Whoa! Time really does fly!!! *gasp* I feel like I should be updating you guys more often, because this is such a becoming time, isn't it? Being a mother-in-the-making... but a lot of things are happening and I haven't told you guys that I actually was on bedrest on my first trimester for almost 3 weeks and I just got back to work from yet-another bedrest last week (during my 2nd trimester) because I had spotting.




But 1 ER trip, 1 ultrasound, 1 OB check up and tons of meds after and thankfully, the baby and I are fine. I can't tell you what huge relief it was for me to hear the heartbeat of the baby in the ER that night and to be assured by one of the residents that my baby is fine. Whew!

We thank everyone for the prayers and for just being there for us during that time because Dennis and I were really so worried and panicking.

So during my 1-week worth of bedrest recently, I borrowed this book which really helped me put a lot of things in perspective. Just as the title implies, this book is intended for your soul.

Soul is such a tricky word, you feel like you know it but if someone were to ask you to define it, then it gets pretty difficult, doesn't it? It is just hard to pin down...


But this book reminds me a lot of Tuesdays with Morrie, wherein the author of the book was being mentored and taught by this wise and seasoned man about life and what really matters. And according to him, what's important is for us to keep and take care of the most important part of our being which is our SOUL.




So sakto sa bedrest ko, lol! I had a lot of time to chew on this and made me realize how I am always in such a hurry, oh boy! I am always on the next thing that I have to consciously stop my mind from reeling with thoughts and for it to take a rest.



Here are some great quotes from the book:
“Hurry is the great enemy of spiritual life in our day. You must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life.” 

“You must arrange your days so that you are experiencing deep contentment, joy, and confidence in your everyday life with God.” 

“Gratitude does not always come naturally. You will not always feel grateful. But you can take the time each day to remember the benefits you received, see your benefactor, and thank him for his benefits. As Thornton Wilder put it, “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” 

Are you hooked?  

One key take away that I got from the book is you know how as Christians, we always say, just do your quiet time, spend a few minutes with God everyday. And while that really does wonders because of how powerful God's word is, this book takes it several notches farther and say that the idea is for us to live out the rest of the 23 hours and so minutes after we read God's word to be really in God's presence. And I was just, whoaaaa! Yes! That would be amazing! 

Imagine just being conscious of His presence for the entire day? So in short, instead of being conscious of His presence, I am conscious of other things.. mostly my schedule and what I need to do... that I forget God. I know He is real and He is there but He is not with me... and so that is what I am trying to do these days, to just soak in His presence no matter what I am doing. :)

So pakiramdam ko lang, sinasabi sakin ni God na, chill ka lang, slow down and take a moment to smell the roses! Don't miss out on my blessings, I feel like He is telling me. So that's where I am these days and maybe you're in the same boat too, be encouraged that our God wants you to have that rest and for you to take time to take a good look and ask yourself, how's my soul? :)

If you would only read a few books this year, may this be one of them :) 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday: Be the Man You Want to Marry

Throwback Thursday! Words edition :) I wrote this post almost two years ago, I've had 3 blogs for the past four years so my ramblings and thoughts have been tucked away in three different places in the digital space. Reminds me of Voldemort and how he hid his soul to 7 different objects. Nerd alert! Hehe! So here it is, my realizations as far as marrying is concerned, when I was 23 years old:

Bridal Shower Ideas

Hey pretty ladies! Throwing a bridal shower for your dear friend soon? Here are some ideas that you may want to explore :)