Skip to main content

Watch Faves: The Vow

There are films that seem to get better as you watch them time and again... like this one right here.

I have been so excited to watch this film when it first came out and I remembered saying that it was just "nice" as soon as we left the theaters. Good thing that my sister has this in her hard drive so I watched it again the other day and had greater appreciation for it :)



I like that it's pretty mellow. If you want big scenes and stereotypical happy ever afters, then you're in for a different sort of love story. But the small scenes played a big part when you look at the film as a whole. These scenes made the story more realistic (well it's based on a true story so there's that) where timing played a significant role in the film's turn of events.

The film is about Leo and Paige, sweet newly weds who encountered an accident. Unfortunately, the accident left Paige with selective amnesia -- causing her to forget the past five years of her life. It may not be so bad if these past 5 years didn't hold defining moments in her life like following her new-found passion in arts, straying away from her family, meeting Leo and marrying him.
So the ultimate question that the movie tried to answer is: If life's all about moments of impact and how they change our lives forever, what happens when one day you could no longer remember any of them?
Thus, the struggle of Leo to win back his now-estranged wife... It kind of breaks your heart a little... I love their vows especially the line that Leo (played by Channing Tatum) quoted through the duration of the movie. It made me think, and nod my head in agreement.

”I have a theory  too. My theory is about moments. Moments of impact. My theory is that, these moments of impact, these flashes of high intensity that completely turn our lives upside down actually end up defining who we are. 
The thing is, each one of us is the sum total of every moment that we’ve ever experienced, with all the people we’ve ever known. It is these moments that become our history, like our own personal greatest hits of memories that we play and replay in our mind, over and over again. A moment of total, physical, mental and every other kind of love.
So that is my theory, that these moments of impact define who we are. A moment of impact. A moment of impact has potential for change, has ripple effects far beyond what we can predict. 
Sending some particles crashing together making them closer than before, while sending others off into great ventures, ending where you never thought you’d find them. You see that’s the best thing of moments like these, you can’t, no matter how hard you try, control how they are going to effect you. You just got to let these colliding particles land where they may and wait until the next collision.”  The Vow

Sometimes I wonder whether there's a reason for EVERY event in our lives. I know about us having purpose in this world but to ask the question with regard to our free will... Like was it really all part of a big plan for this to have happened to me? For me to meet him? Or her? I guess there are bits and pieces in my life that are still a big question mark for me--the gray parts that have collided and have been sent off to who-knows-where. So when I don't see ending, I fail to see the purpose and I wonder whether it was something with God's hand on it, or I just made the choice on my own, that's why it happened. You know what I mean? HA! I'm confusing you right now, aren't I?

So I wonder about these particles in my life. I guess a part of me wants a clear divine intervention to show me really that it is Him who wanted that to happen and He has placed it there for a reason. I want to know that there's a good and pleasing purpose behind it all... (I think this is especially true for the not-so-good moments in our lives).

But I guess that's just it right? You cannot control every single detail just as we will not get a clear direction and answer for our ever why... Such is the human condition :P

Sometimes you just have to wait it out and see what happens. The particles may finally land somewhere safe, keep traveling somewhere new or just like Leo in the movie, it may be on its way to its next collision...

...you just have to keep your eyes open and trust :)


Photo Credits:
http://www.iamthecoffeechic.com/2012/02/vow-movie-quotes.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday: Be the Man You Want to Marry

Throwback Thursday! Words edition :) I wrote this post almost two years ago, I've had 3 blogs for the past four years so my ramblings and thoughts have been tucked away in three different places in the digital space. Reminds me of Voldemort and how he hid his soul to 7 different objects. Nerd alert! Hehe! So here it is, my realizations as far as marrying is concerned, when I was 23 years old:

Bridal Shower Ideas

Hey pretty ladies! Throwing a bridal shower for your dear friend soon? Here are some ideas that you may want to explore :)

Book Fave: Soul-Keeping at 21 Weeks

Hello! My ballooning tummy says hi at 21 weeks!  Whoa! Time really does fly!!! *gasp* I feel like I should be updating you guys more often, because this is such a becoming time, isn't it? Being a mother-in-the-making... but a lot of things are happening and I haven't told you guys that I actually was on bedrest on my first trimester for almost 3 weeks and I just got back to work from yet-another bedrest last week (during my 2nd trimester) because I had spotting.