Skip to main content

Last Work-Free Day Ahead!

Yes, loves! Today is my last work-free day! And I am going to miss this! Haha! But yep, it's more than high time that I get back to work :)

These past few days, I have been battling it out with a note card that says "get your priorities straight, miss." Truth be told, there are certain things that I need to say NO to in order to focus on my career. One major thing is SMFW. BUT I am not about to let go of that yet, but I decided that I had to lie low on that one.

Too Tempted to Say Yes
Just the other day, I had a quick meet-up with a customer and while her car windows were rolled down, and I handed her the shoes, she told me about this event that she wanted to partner with.




They wanted to get SMFW for a mother-daughter event, although she mentioned that they were also considering someone else, but that is if I say No to the idea. Flattered naman ako! But then I researched on this other option that they have, and this one has a much bigger audience and they seemed to be in the industry longer than SMFW. So if anything, I know that they can do a really good job at it.

But there I was, I was walking to Megamall for our BS and my mind was running with thoughts. It was more than tempting for me. I really want to do it. :( But I know that as a 25-year old who just landed a new job, I cannot risk it and pile on too much on my plate.

One Most Important Thing
And just how fitting was the BS material we had that day! It was about asking yourself what is the most important thing in your life and designing your daily sched from there. We read a story about Mr. Schwab of Bethlehem Steel and how he hired a consultant for his firm whose sole advice to him was the get his staff in listing down the topmost important thing they have to accomplish that day and do it the first thing of the day. Then the other important things, they do at the second half of the day. And it worked! The company became successful because they focused on the ONE MOST important thing.

Then Val asked the question, whether which to prioritize first: Work or Self. Hmm right now you may be saying, "duh, of course SELF!" But a look at our schedules sometimes say otherwise. Ate Flo said that for her, people would always precede profit. And I shared that if anything, I think we owe it to ourselves and the people we work with that we also give time to refresh and recharge ourselves from time to time. I guess I was speaking from experience, when I get burn out from work, my attitude also turns sour and the way I relate to colleagues and clients are not something that God will be smiling at. Because I am stressed! And I know that is no excuse, that is why I make sure to allot time and money for leisure. Seriously, I have a "Leisure" fund every month. Haha!

I remember just weeks before we went to Palawan last year, I was so motivated! I finished a lot of PRs, social media write ups, and I had that happy-excited vibe that I carry around. Ang sipag ko lang! Haha! So I think now that we're older, we already know what recharges us and it is our responsibility to call ourselves to it when we're about to plunge into the sea of burn out and stress.

And the best way to start a day? Is to have a daily devotion time.

Too Busy Not to Pray
There's a book that I saw at OMF one time entitled "Too Busy Not to Pray". People usually say that they're too busy to pray, but the truth is, it should be other way around. When your schedule is about to burst at its seams and the loooong day stretches ahead of you, a daily devotion time is the key. In Psalm 19:7-9, David detailed the benefits of reading the Word of God on a daily basis:

The law of the Lord is perfect,
    refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
    making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
    giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
    giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure,
    enduring forever.
The decrees of the Lord are firm,
    and all of them are righteous.


The ones in gray are the characteristics of God's Word and the ones in bold are the benefits we get from reading and applying His Word. Sometimes people see the Bible as a list of strict rules that stifles our freedom, but quite the contrary. Have you experienced His peace and joy? There is nothing quite like it! :) And this passage details just some benefits of what following His Word offers.

And here the things we need for a daily devotion time (lemme just copy it here):

BIBLE : Choose a book in the Bible to read at your  own rate, meditate on the passage, pray and obey. Remember that we always read the Bible for TRANSFORMATION and not merely for information. There are many good devotional books, but none can replace the Bible.

PEN & NOTEBOOK: During your devotional time, write down your thoughts and what sense God is saying to you. "And you shall remember all the ways which the Lord your God has led you.." (Deut. 8:2). You can also write down the names and needs of those who are praying for. Also note answers to these prayers to encourage yourself.

PLACE: Choose a place where you can meet with God without being disturbed.

TIME: Find the most appropriate time where you can consistently meet with God. A time that your mind is alert.

FAITHFULNESS: Persevere in keeping your daily devotions. Make the time a part of your daily life.

I think this material was really apt for me and my Bible Study friends! Because it seems to be the busy month for every industry! And reminding ourselves to put first the most important thing, knowing our priorities and balancing our time well is a good way to get back on track.

As for me, do pray for me! I need prayers! I am pretty scared and I just need His guidance and strength all the more as I take on a new career, on a morning shift, in Makati! Haha! For a not-quite morning lass like me, I know this will be challenging and that is just getting to work on time, what more the work itself! Haha! But yes, that is why I need to rely on His grace every day.

Happy Friday guys! And I hope you spend time with the Big Guy :)


You might also like:
Week 1 Lesson



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday: Be the Man You Want to Marry

Throwback Thursday! Words edition :) I wrote this post almost two years ago, I've had 3 blogs for the past four years so my ramblings and thoughts have been tucked away in three different places in the digital space. Reminds me of Voldemort and how he hid his soul to 7 different objects. Nerd alert! Hehe! So here it is, my realizations as far as marrying is concerned, when I was 23 years old:

Bridal Shower Ideas

Hey pretty ladies! Throwing a bridal shower for your dear friend soon? Here are some ideas that you may want to explore :)

Book Fave: Soul-Keeping at 21 Weeks

Hello! My ballooning tummy says hi at 21 weeks!  Whoa! Time really does fly!!! *gasp* I feel like I should be updating you guys more often, because this is such a becoming time, isn't it? Being a mother-in-the-making... but a lot of things are happening and I haven't told you guys that I actually was on bedrest on my first trimester for almost 3 weeks and I just got back to work from yet-another bedrest last week (during my 2nd trimester) because I had spotting.