Skip to main content

So I've decided to Work at Church Full-Time

SURPRISE!!! So I will now work at church as a full time staff starting next week! Geeez! Who would've thought, right? Paano nangyari yun? Haha! :P

Hope you'd indulge me with this post, because it was quite a journey for me and if you're on a crossroad right now, hope this helps you :)

It started when I was volunteering for the summer activities of Kids Church, that I just really and passionately wanted to help out...

I was on fire from the Kids Teachers Summit that whatever I can do to help out, I would!

I just resigned from a corporate job, and although I didn't know exactly what I would take as the next step, I know I am going to be fine... Not because I am such an amazing, sought-after employee of the year, but I know that since God led me to make that decision, He will lead me through the next steps :)



So during this time of waiting and seeking, I explored different opportunities:
  • Go back to corporate, check! 
  • Be a part time financial advisor, check! 
  • Go into business, full time, check! 
  • Work at Odesk, check!
Hahahah! Lahat na!

I was exploring and getting a feel of everything before I plunge into anything just yet... But after a talk with one of the pastors at church, the excitement I felt at that time didn't match any of those options above... So I know what I had to do... :P

Pero hindi naman ito yung bigla nalang naisipan ko na magserve, tapos ding ding ding! Isa ka nang full-pledged worker at Church!

God has been talking to me, cultivating my heart and orchestrating circumstances before I finally said yes and heeded His call...


But how do you know that THIS is IT for YOU??? 

These are the factors that God uses to speak to us, and these are what He used to help me arrive at my decision :)

1. Circumstances  - During the Teacher's Summit, that's when I got the confirmation to resign from my job. The word that was impressed to me through the people at that time were "Do not fear, do not worry. Take courage and God will use you to minister greatly to other people." Circumstances include events, situations and challenges that God will put in your midst to listen to His voice clearly.

I was already toying with the idea of quitting at that time but I needed to save more money to pay for my fixed expenses for the year, etc so I was putting it off... so the topics discussed through the Teacher's Summit really helped me just quit and know that He will be the one to provide for me, and I just have to trust. Everything else will be set on its place, but I have to overcome my fear and take the first step.

2. Confirmation through Godly counsel - After quitting my job, it was weeks after that Pastor Bojo talked to me and he asked whether I was open to work as a full time staff at Kids Church. I didn't even apply for this, but I guess that's how it works at church? hehe!

I just remember talking to one of the staff and sharing that I just resigned and am weighing my options.

It just so happened that Janine, one of the kids church staff had to transition to finance because Ethel (the current finance person) is pregnant so someone has to take Janine's place (see the role of circumstances here)... so the pastors and the kids team talked about it and I was one of the people that turned up in their list. Yaaaaay!!! :)

I also ran it with my Vgroups and they were supportive and excited for me. (There will be people though who would not be on board with the idea, but that's for point a little further down...) but majority of the people around me was giving a thumbs up sign so confirmation through Godly counsel, check!

3. God's Word - This is the final and the most important factor in considering any decision... the two things above won't mean anything if it doesn't align with what the Bible has to say about it and what is being impressed to you during quiet time. :)

During those months of seeking and praying, the passages that I always come across are these 2:

Matthew 6:25-34 
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

John 13:14 
"You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father."
We usually ask God for what He wants for us, and that is a good question to ask, but He always goes before us. So He will first fine tune our hearts to make the desire to glorify Him our foremost desire, and only THEN will He honor it when we ask for what we want.

Because our hearts will be aligned to His, when we ask for anything in His name, He will orchestrate events, send people our way, speak to us through His Word because He knows that it will glorify Him.

The Less-Rosy Side of it
...but it wasn't an easy road getting here. Just like me, I am quite positive that  you will hear a lot of how's and why's the moment you express your desire to work at church full-time.


Pano yung career? Paano yung working hours? Kaya mo ba yun? Hindi madali yan ha. 

These are reasonable, logical, practical questions and I know that the intention behind those questions are well-meaning ways to show care and concern for my future...

...But doing something that excites me once again and I feel passionate about totally puts everything back in perspective for me.

I actually ran all these questions in my head, but at the end of the day, doing something that would directly impact the next generation is not something you put a price on...

I know that in serving as a full-time staff, I know that I won't be compensated in the same way as in a corporate job, but that's fine... because I know I will grow so much richer in ways other than what my wallet has to say for.

Tsaka, if you will be working for the Lord, you can never outgive Him... He will just surprise you because hello, He owns the universe!!!! He has and will always be my Provider. :)


Let your YES, be a YES
I am not saying though that everyone should quit their corporate job and work at church... Lilinawin ko lang! Haha! God is and will continue to place people in the companies to reach out to those in the corporate world, but because of the 3 factors I mentioned above, I know that I must stand firm with my Yes and face the bumps along the way to this decision.

So yes, what I did may not be wise to the world, but it's okay, I am happier now because I know that God is pleased with this decision.

So for this season, I will love Him through this -- by working and serving at Kids Church. :)

Yaaaaay! :)

Photo Credits:
http://ejcalado.deviantart.com/art/Cartoon-13-You-Take-Care-of-It-420127432
http://amphilochios.blogspot.com/2011/05/christian-cartoons.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday: Be the Man You Want to Marry

Throwback Thursday! Words edition :) I wrote this post almost two years ago, I've had 3 blogs for the past four years so my ramblings and thoughts have been tucked away in three different places in the digital space. Reminds me of Voldemort and how he hid his soul to 7 different objects. Nerd alert! Hehe! So here it is, my realizations as far as marrying is concerned, when I was 23 years old:

Bridal Shower Ideas

Hey pretty ladies! Throwing a bridal shower for your dear friend soon? Here are some ideas that you may want to explore :)

Book Fave: Soul-Keeping at 21 Weeks

Hello! My ballooning tummy says hi at 21 weeks!  Whoa! Time really does fly!!! *gasp* I feel like I should be updating you guys more often, because this is such a becoming time, isn't it? Being a mother-in-the-making... but a lot of things are happening and I haven't told you guys that I actually was on bedrest on my first trimester for almost 3 weeks and I just got back to work from yet-another bedrest last week (during my 2nd trimester) because I had spotting.